BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

A man of honor pays his debts with his own money. --DeGaulle
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:36:05 -0500
Apparently, the portion of the film that I thought was most on target is the
part that most irritated Ralph. Who can deny that our volunteer military draws
most heavily from the lower socioeconomic class and lower middle class? How
many of the college-educated people on this list have served in active
military duty? How many of your children have? If the ne'er-do-well Bush
daughters were stuck driving Humvees in Fallujah would the chances be greater
or less that proper armor for both personnel and vehicle would be available?
If W knew his own would be put in harm's way, would the chances be greater or
less that he would have second thoughts before sending them there in the first
place? (Of course, in their case, it could be a well-needed character building
exercise.)

Even if we were to agree with nothing else in the film, I would think we all
have to concede that the burdens of military service and sacrifice has fallen
disproportionately on a relative few, and that we are deeply indebted to them
for their invaluable gift to all of us.

Mike E.