BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 21:31:31 -0600
I went to the caucus.  Sure were a lot of caucasians.  The meeting was
called to the order and we all did the ancient dance from our Caucasian
homeland.  Then we did some ritual democracy things.  We did them in
the Democratic folkways.  It was an odd simultaneously annoying and
deeply satisfying experience.  I think I like Americans.  I think I
like democracy.  I like the secrecy of bits of paper.  While others
were introducing resolutions that I found silly, pompous, uninforceable
or vague I scribbled, "...resolved that Mom's apple pie is good."  Then
just to give folks something to debate, I added, "...and wholesome."
Of course anyone who knew Mom would also know that her apple pie was
neither good nor wholesome...unless it came directly from a store
without having actually been in her care.

No.  I did not introduce my resolution.  I promptly started writing a
more earnest one about a certain historical society.  I did not
introduce that either.  But it was fun to look around the room and see
the young faces, the earnest faces, the "what have I gotten myself into
faces".  I remember Town Meeting in Winthrop Maine with some fondness.
They also have the best 4th of July celebrations.  This is much smaller
than a Town meeting, much less polished, just as sincere.

Hey!  I'm gonna be a delegate to the county convention!  Not too great
an accomplishment, 28 delegates were allotted, and we only had 24 folks
show up.

I like democracy.  I tolerate Democrats, and they return the
favor...which is more then them others are willing to do.

-jc