Date:
Sun, 23 May 2004 13:27:41 +1000
*On *, 3 May 2004   Dr Bernarr  wrote on the
<http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind0405&L=paleofood&D=0&P=38234>
*Subject* Parasites & worms-How to rid your body of them

Part of Dr Bernarr's interaction with Kristina Carlton' follows:
FASTING RIDS YOUR BODY OF PARASITES & WORMS > >WORMS & PARASITES CAN'T
LIVE IN YOUR BODY WITHOUT FOOD > How long does one have to fast? > I was
told if parasites are deprived of food they will start consuming the >
person they are inhabiting.< > This is not correct. If parasites are
deprived of food, they NEVER will start to consume the person they are
inhabiting. Fast until you are asymptomatic. HOW TO FAST Fast only when
you are symptomatic, i.e., when you have symptoms.

------------
I have to respectfully express ambivalence regarding Dr Bernarr's
comments on parasitism.  I can tell you that if I had intestinal
parasites, I would take an anthelmintic (eg pyrantel, mebendazole or
whatever).

But I will confine myself to one of my areas' of expertise as a
veterinarian, that is, parasites of animals.

Gastrointestinal parasites of animals most certainly WILL survive in
fasting animals.  Some blood sucking parasites, such as Haemonchus
contortus (barber's pole worm - which lives in the abomasum of sheep and
goats) and Fasciola hepatica (liver fluke), live on blood, whether or
not the animal is eating.  Non blood sucking worms (eg Trichostrongylus
and Ostertagia) will live on host tissues (lining of the gut), even if
the animal is not eating. Hook worm in animals - and I am sure in humans
as well - are bloodsuckers: they do not need ingested feed for survival.

Wild animals I have examined tend to have lower worm burdens than farmed
animals.  I think this is due to lower exposure to parasites
(roaming/grazing over larger areas), and because wild animals, unlike
farmed animals, tend to be selected by 'nature' for fitness (incl
resistance/resilience with respect to parasites), rather than maximizing
productivity, growth rates etc.

Traditional societies have long used plant based anti-worm remedies in
themselves and their animals.  They don't seem to have had philosophical
objections to seeking out medicaments to treat their worms.

In addition to all the above, a fit well-nourished human - or animal -
is more likely to resist pathogens such as worms. However, I personally
have no problems with a 'paleo' person weighing the risks of modern
medicines and using them as appropriate.

Regards,

SteveL