From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2004 12:50:06 -0600
>> I am still slightly confused on the exact paleo food list. I was going
>> through the archives to try and find a list of all foods that ARE strict

Well, the assumption has been made that "any" veggie is ok so long as it's
not a "new world" plant. But, some of the "new world" plants I've seen
listed, after further research, turned out to be "old world" as well - or,
at least had a very close "old world" cousins. The only plants I'm
abolutely certain at this time as being "new world" are tomatoes and
potatoes (and corn).

Others avoid nightshades because of sensitivities, but there are
nightshades in the "old world", so "being a nightshade" is not really a
criteria.

Others have pointed out that "modern" versions of plants may have been so
genetically altered from their original state that they should not be
considered paleo. Two problems there: the first, and most obvious, is how
can you tell - with certainty - *how* altered a modern version might be;
and, plants in the wild quite often do their "own" genetic manipulation, so
that much is pure crap shoot.

My attitude is if it's not "forbidden" (grain, bean, dairy, hightly
processed), and I have no sensitivity to it, then it's probably pretty safe
(for me, at least). I think it's easy to waste way too much time trying to
reach "paleo perfection" (if such a state exists).