NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nancy Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 2004 21:11:38 -0500
  Hi :)  We saw ped gi today.  Hunter is 17#6.5oz and 26.5", around 50%ile for both; doc was very happy with that!!!  She was very happy w/ his progress on Neocate and rice cereal (we started rice in the bottle last Thursday due to vomiting and he has been FABULOUS since).  She thinks he should be on solids in a bowl too, so she said since he is tolerating rice (which is questionable to me, more on that later), we should start that from a spoon 1x a day...then assuming that goes OK, do barley, then oatmeal, then veggies and fruits...of course 1 at a time, for 5 days each.  She still wants to do upper GI to rule out anatomical issues, namely malrotation and fistula (I am probably spelling that wrong) so that is on for 3/15. He has no blood ins tool,,,and she said his poops are still more watery and frequent than normal but since he is gaining weight (i.e.--probably not malabsorption) we will not worry about that right now, unless it becomes problematic.  We are keeping up with Prevacid powder packets (why mess with what works, right?!).  Hunter is so very happy today; he was smiling and cooing the whole time we were there; she was just thrilled with him!!

  Now, my concern of the day: he has eczema patches on his arms and legs...the legs are barely noticeable, just feel sandpapery to touch, behind the knees and on the upper thighs....the arms are visible...on the upper arms by elbows....but not horrible (nowhere near as bad as his face was a few months ago).  She said she HIGHLY doubts it is related to rice.  Some kids just have eczema, unrelated to foods, she said.  Well, I agree to a point...I mean its not bad eczema and he  doesn't seem bothered so even if it is related to the rice, its not a "bad" reaction.  So, I am just going to watch it and keep him on rice cereal for the rest of the week...if it improves or at least doesn't worsen by Sunday, we will call rice a success and move to barley....

  I would appreciate any opinions/thoughts/ideas on the visit (esp. the UGI and the eczema).  I will update after the UGI on Monday 3/15.

  Thank you all for always being there for me!!!

  Nancy

  "Mothers of little boys work from son-up to son-down!"

  "My sons  are my greatest accomplishment and the opportunity to raise them  is my greatest challenge"