From:
Kristina Carlton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 19:39:39 -0500
>I just turned 40 and am what most people would consider very fit and
healthy. Like >you, my exercise focus is high-intensity weightlifting.
Unlike you, I usually only lift >once every four to seven days and my
workouts rarely go beyond 30 minutes. I do >not have a regimented schedule
and lift only when it is convenient and I "feel like it." >On my
non-weightlifting days I might engage in any of the following: basketball,
>boxing work-out, sprints, walking, jumping rope, jumping drills, or tossing
>the football. And, of course, on many days I do nothing at all!

That does make sense, but isn't it slightly different for women due to
higher estrogen levels and lower testosterone levels?

>I agree in part with your pharmacist: I think you're stressed-out due to
>overtraining. My advice would be to completely relax and do no exercise for
>a minimum of two weeks, preferably three. Like you, I used to think if I
>didn't maintain a high volume of exercise, that my fitness level would
>deteriorate rapidly. When I finally did cut my exercising down to current
>levels, I discovered that less can be more. I think I'm in better shape now
>than I have ever been.

I am more concerned with gaining weight/size than I with a deteriorating
fitness level. I guess it's all the years of reading fitness magazines and
working with trainers who tell you to do nothing less than 5 cardios per
week for fat burning. However, I do realize that it's different when you're
following a paleo diet. As much as I want to take 2 weeks off, I am not
quite ready for that yet, but I have already cut back on the cardio.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Yes, it does help and I appreciate your reply very much.

Kristina