From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 11:30:38 -0600
>Eggs would have been seasonal - available for 3 months max.

How certain are we of that? I seem to recall reading that in some locations
birds (and other) eggs are available nearly year-round. Same can be said of
fruit/berries. And, could not a nomadic group have known when/where eggs
were available, and planned their migrations around that? (I know that
Native Americans sometimes migrated hundreds of miles yearly, which if
north-and-south with changes in elevation could produce considerable
changes in climate/venue).

Paleo edicts remind me of Star Trek episodes where the crew would meet
groups of 15-20 "natives", and these natives were supposed to somehow
represent the entire population of the planet. The world is much larger and
more diversified than I think we can comprehend at times.

>Fruit is seasonal (so seasonal binges)

Again, this is an assumption based on each of our rather limited
experiences. I've researched my region for availability of fruits/berries
in reference to how the Native Americans may have done it (southern Idaho,
USA), and I come up with a much longer "season" than I had originally
thought. Couple that with the possibility of storing dried fruits/berries
(or making something like pemmican), and I see no real seasonal limit to
fruit/berry availability in my area. In other words, it's entirely possible
to eat fruits year 'round - the real variables, IMHO, would have been
quantity and freshness.

Of course, during my research I also discovered that around 10,000 years
ago Natives were hunting rhinocerous along the border of Idaho and Utah
(USA) - which seriously blew my mind. That means the regional flora had to
be considerably different than what it is today (or even a few thousand
years ago). So, I guess that means all bets are off :)

>People were healthy in the Paleolithic without our scientific knowledge.

Very true. Yet, we still use scientific knowledge to support our paleo
positions.