From:
DAVID Osofsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 09:42:11 -0600
Hi!

I have been following a paleo diet for the past 2 weeks, after nearly a year of low carb eating.  I lost 40 lbs with a low carb diet, but I found myself still needing to lose 40 more lbs and going nowhere anymore on the low carb diet.  I knew I was eating a lot of cheese and a lot of calories.  I read Neanderthin and The Paleo Diet a while back, and decided to revisit them.  What I am doing is pretty much Neanderthin, Cordain's diet seems to be too low in fat for me and I am hungry all the time, the only thing I am not doing 'by the book' is I am still drinking some decaf coffee and having a glass of red wine or 2 most days.  Still, in 2 weeks I have lost 8 lbs, so it seems to be going well.

Now to my question.  On advice from Protein Power Lifeplan, I have been taking Cod Liver Oil to supplement my Omega 3s.  In the book they recommend 1-2 tbsp a day.  I have read in numerous places, however, that these megadoses of Vitamins A and D can cause toxicity over time, and Vitamin D toxicity in particular is very nasty.  What is the truth to this?  Is Cod Liver Oil fine, or should I switch to Fish Oil?  The local health food store carries Carlson's Fish Oil in liquid form, which, according the label, appears to provide the same Omega 3s without the Vitamin A or D, but I don't know if the oil from the liver is any different than the rest of the fish otherwise.. What's the deal?  Thanks!