Date:
Tue, 25 May 2004 21:03:26 -0400
> Eating earlier
> leaves a longer time with no insulin and thus greater glucagon levels
> leading to higher blood glucose in the morning.  >
>   Wade

Hmmm... I've thought about this.  As I understand it, the feedback loop is
this: when you fast, BG gradually drops.  When it gets low enough,
cortisol is released, which triggers secretion of glucagon for (a) release
of stored glycogen as glucose, and (b) gluconeogenesis, until BG is back
up.  In theory, when "enough" glucose is available, the process shuts off,
so BG shouldn't go very high.

In a type 1 diabetic, the absence of insulin creates a complication:
insulin is needed to push glucose into the cells where it's needed.  So
without insulin, even though the blood is flooded with glucose, the cells
are still starving for it, so more cortisol triggers more glucagon to make
still more glucose...

A person with IR is also somewhat "glucose resistant"; I.e., inefficiently
utilizes the glucose in circulation.  So that persons BG and FI will both
tend to be chronically elevated.

Todd Moody