From:
Wade Reeser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 May 2004 17:12:36 -0400
> On Behalf Of Gerard Farrell
> it was 5. The A1c is a measure AFAIK of your blood glucose
> average over the previous two to three months. I was well pleased with

Basically a certain percentage of your hemoglobin is 'glycosylated' in the
presence of the glucose in the blood.  The fraction of blood hemoglobin that
is glycosylated (A1c)is proportional to the level of blood glucose. Because
the glycosylation of the hemoglobin is a slow reaction, A1c represents an
long
term average.  They say over about 90-100 days as that is about
how long a red blood cell survives before it is sucked up and recycled by
the
body.  (If I remember correctly)

> this being a Type11
> diabetic but I am concerned that my FBS is always high on waking in the
> morning; between 6 & 7 mmol/l (approx. 109 to 127 mg/dl).
>
> I'd welcome any ideas as to why this is happening as I'm trying to have my
> last meal earlier each evening to see if this helps.

When insulin levels are low or, in the case of a type 1, non-existant in the
blood,
the glucagon levels will be high.  This is a common complication of even the
treated
diabetic, those with no endongenous insulin capacity in particular.  The
glucagon is
a catabolic hormone and will tend to raise blood glucose.  I'm guessing that
earlier
meals is having the opposite of your desired effect, lower morning bg.
Eating earlier
leaves a longer time with no insulin and thus greater glucagon levels
leading to higher blood glucose in the morning.  I think a small meal late
with the
appropriate dose of insulin would drop your moring bg levels.

Disclaimer: I'm no MD, dont listen to me :)  And I'm suffering from lack of
sleep and
too much caffeine, gotta love school :)

  Wade