From:
Ingrid Bauer/Jean-Claude Catry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 May 2004 22:14:59 -0700
paleo eaters needs to be seriously concerned about the supreme court of canada decision against Percy . it means the last straw to destroy small farmers and further denaturation of our food.Worse it gives green light to patent life forms . soon all of nature will be own by few . hope that nobody here is following cordain advice and use canola oils . at this point  at least 40 % is officially genitically modified but in truth all of it is likelly to be contaminated by foreign genes . We don't know what it can do to human metabolism but considering how just normal hybridation of plants have allready led us to  big problems , it is expected we will find out later on .

don't expect to be able to continue to eat paleo in the future and even less so to raise childrens that way if you don't do something now to revendicate the right to eat unadultered foods .
jean-claude

Unbelievable. .... Canada rules against Percy!

Yet again, how unbelievable is it, ... really? Isn't this just another "normal" turn of the Canadian screws against the family farmer in this country? This is what Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada has been doing to thwart the "local economy" of the family farm in Canada ever since the '60s. First with what the administration called "Rural Development" ( See the 60s NFB Documentary; "Wilf, A Study in Rural Relocation" based on Canada's Agriculture and Rural Development Act ).
Then, as a follow up, see more on the "takings" of our farmers' "local economy" rights to supply us with food, through what the experts then re-named; "Structural Adjustment". From then to this day, Canada has underwritten, almost exclusively, only the corporate "export economy" with this' "Adjustment". (Please see the Report "The Structural Adjustment of Canadian Agriculture" by Qualman and Wiebe at <http://www.policyalternatives.ca> )

At 08:00 o clock (today), May 21st, CBC Radio News reported that Percy Schmeiser lost his Supreme Court Case, which was an appeal of an earlier Courts decision against him in favour of the U.S. based GMO corporate giant Monsanto. Their claim was that Percy Schmeiser was illegally growing and using their patented genetically modified, weed killer resistant canola on his farm.

The report indicated that todays Supreme Court ruling was based on the fact that Percy had intentionally planted Monsanto's roundup ready canola!

That Percy "planted" the crop, does not fit with the account Percy gave last July when he addressed a Food Faire group here in British Columbia. (His speech is available as a video documentary from Peter Prince at Island Video Works, 250 653 0005 or through; [log in to unmask] Nor does this version of events correspond to accounts of what was found to have been the case on his farm, in the earlier Court case.

Anecdotally, one of the members of a film crew involved with actually being there, and seeing and filming the evidence concerning the farm and the subject site, in early stages of the case, also personally described to me that the site of the Monsanto claim, related primarily, only to canola samples found in the ditch adjacent to one of Percy's fields.

This is an amazing finding by the court for a corporate giant! The decision is based first on what Canada has allowed seed corporations (not farmers) to do in this countrywhen they deemed corporations could patend life. The decision reinforces this earlier favour to seed giants (Monsanto being the biggest) in its' determined efort to take rights away from all farmers, all around the world for the money interests of its shareholders alone. For local economy food producers this is a devastating corporate decision by Canada's highest Court.

Once most of Canada's food is forced by Canada's agriculture policy to be even more foreign grown than it is today (by faceless corporate behemoths in the Staters for example), perhaps we will be able to "trade" even more for our food than we already do. Perhaps we will then be able to "trade" away
our Canadian water rights (to the behemoth) in order to get the food we need to be grown for us by others in a dry future. (it's 90% foreign grown for our Island communities already).

This Supreme Court Decision against the local economy farmer is obviously not the end of the story. Below is a message from Pat Mooney's ETC Group, about what Prairie farmers (and others) must now do in the face of such a devastating taking of our traditional rights to farm as we need to.

Although this is a sad day for Percy and Louis, and for all farmers all around the world, heartfelt thanks is due the Schmeisers for standing up and defending our rights. We must now put this decision in context. All is not lost. We must understand that this will only add fuel to the fire in the hearts of those in all our local food based societies, who stand for local economics and the rights of the family farmer to produce our food.

A pox on those in Canada whose draconian actions fleece the family farmer in favour of the foreign food trade!

John Wilcox

Agronomist, 250 537 5942, [log in to unmask]

HERE IS THE MESSAGE FROM THE PAT MOONEY GROUP "ETC", ABOUT WHAT FARMERS MUST NOW DO IN ORDER TO PROTECT THEMSELVES FROM MONSANTO. (received just before news of this Decision came down).