From:
Andrea Hughett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 17:42:08 -0800
From what I have read, there is a definite link
between breast cancer and estrogen production/number
of menstrual periods.  Thus, fewer pregnancies and
late first pregnancy  are positively correlated with
incidence of the disease.  Now, since anorexia nervosa
frequently causes amenorrhea, the protection against
cancer could be for this secondary reason, not calorie
restriction per se.

From a paleolithic standpoint it makes sense, since
hunter-gatherer women would spend most of their adult
lives either pregnant or nursing.  Perhaps we are just
not evolutionarily adapted to spending so much time as
most modern women do in a state that primitive women
would only be in temporarily.

Andrea

http://search.yahoo.com