From:
Marilyn Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 2004 10:03:20 -0500
>I am torn between water distillation on the one hand and the theories of
>Viktor Schauberger on the other.  To my rational, scintific 21st century
>mind, distilled water appears to be the most paleo.

Personally I would avoid it and I seem to recall negative things about it
(although perhaps these are false claims). A search on the net seems to
reveal a lot of controversy over it consumption -- but it's possible that
it's in fact safe.

Below are two doctor's opposing views about distilled water;

. . .

http://www.mercola.com/article/water/distilled_water.htm

Fasting using distilled water can be dangerous because of the rapid loss of
electrolytes (sodium, potassium, chloride) and trace minerals like
magnesium, deficiencies of which can cause heart beat irregularities and
high blood pressure. Cooking foods in distilled water pulls the minerals out
of them and lowers their nutrient value.

Distilled water is an active absorber and when it comes into contact with
air, it absorbs carbon dioxide, making it acidic. The more distilled water a
person drinks, the higher the body acidity becomes.

http://www.mercola.com/article/water/distilled_water_2.htm

. . .

A completely diffeent view from Dr. Weil:

Is Distilled Water Dangerous?

Is drinking distilled water dangerous? I've read that it’s harmful because
distilled water easily becomes acidic and supposedly robs the body of
important minerals. True?

-- Joe Pietron

Today's Answer

 (Published 12/19/2001)
First of all, let me review for the record what distilled water is — it’s
water that has been turned into steam so its impurities are left behind. The
steam is then condensed to make pure water. The process of distillation
kills and removes virtually all bacteria, viruses, heavy metals, and other
organic and inorganic contaminants. Once distilled, the water is as pure as
water can reasonably be.

For reasons I don't understand, any number of myths — some quite extreme —
have grown up over the years about distilled water. A quick Internet search
today will take you to sites that put forth such views as "distilled water
leads to early death." Nonsense. One claim holds that distillation removes
all of water's beneficial minerals. While it’s true that distillation
removes minerals as well as various contaminants from water, we don't know
that the human body can readily absorb minerals from water. We get our
minerals from food, not water. By one manufacturer’s estimate, you would
have to drink 676 eight-ounce glasses of tap water in Boston to reach the
RDA for calcium.

Your question as to whether distilled water leaches minerals out of the body
reflects another persistent myth. While pure water helps to remove minerals
from the body that cells have eliminated or not used, it does not "leach"
out minerals that have become part of your body's cell structure. Neither
does distilled water cause your teeth to deteriorate, a false claim made by
a filter manufacturer looking to boost sales. As far as acidity goes,
distilled water is close to a neutral pH and has no effect on the body’s
acid/base balance.

I hope I've set your mind at ease. Distilled water not only isn't dangerous,
it’s the purest form of water. It’s also the kind of water I drink.

Dr. Andrew Weil

. . .

Marilyn