From:
Joe Zychik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 2003 09:12:17 -0700
>But, what do
> you know about the etiology of Lou Gherig's disease?
>  Aren't there their well know victims who probably
> did not practice calorie restriction (e.g. Lou
> Gherig, Woody Guthrie (although poverty may be an
> unintentional factor in calorie restriction),
> Stephen Hawking.  The cause may have a genetic
> component, it may be viral;  dietary??  Who is
> saying that??

Even Walford admitted that ALS strikes in the earlier
part of life and mostly before the age of 65. Walford
came down with it two years ago at the age of 77.

Walford started using CR at the age of 59. He claims
that CR delayed the onset of ALS. I disagree because
he's claiming that CR delayed ALS by 18 years after
having only been using CR for 6. That would be a 200%
delaying factor. For me, his argument loses
credibility.

Walford practiced what's refereed to as severe CR - I
call it fanatical CR. Over time I think it will prove
out that severe CR causes disease and shortens
lifespan.

There are some CR'ers who are paleo, I believe. Most
are primarily vegetarian.

Walford did include some meat in his diet. He also ate
processed food.

I read two of his books. His last one, "Beyond the 120
year diet," is his best, IMO.

There is some connection between CR and paleo. I find
it hard to believe that Paleo people had abundant food
available to them every day. As a result they probably
went days with little or no food intake.

However, CR is not intermittent fasting. CR is based
on counting calories for the purpose of extending
life. Also it's purpose is *not* to lose weight,
although that's a consequence of CR.

Intermittent fasting in - mice - has been proven to be
as effective as CR.

best,

JoeZychik