NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
scott gallant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 10:55:43 -0500
A lot of doctors won't make the connection that formula is making babies
sick. The ones that do know still won't say anything because the formula
industry pays bribaries to them to promote their products by discouraging
mothers from nursing and pushing the formula on them by saying they should
wean the baby because of his/her age or saying they aren't getting enough,
which is rarely ever true. You're wise for noticing her symptoms and making
the connection. Mothers know their babies better than any doctor, so quite
honestly i'd strongly recommend going back to nursing her and just give her
solids when ever she asks for them. The American Academy of Pediatrics
actually recomends that an infant should be completely breastfed for at
least the first year. They say 2 or longer is even better, but the first
year should be absolute priority. Most pediatritions won't say that or other
doctors for that matter, because they are getting their free vacations from
bonus points they earn for every case of formula they push on mothers from
their office. Dr. Sears, who lives in California, has written many books
encouraging breast feeding as well as other nurturing aspects of parenting.
I'm told he also has his own personal website. i've been nursing my toddler
for 2 years now and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I nursed my older
daughter longer than that.too and I strongly believe it's prevented a lot of
health issues with both of them. We're all allergic to dairy, so breast milk
truly is the best option. With the bonding that comes with it there really
is no substitute. You're smart for watching your daughter and knowing what's
making her sick. Your nursing her has obviously brought the two of you in
tune with each other. The antibodies she's received from being nursed this
long are probably preventing her from getting any sicker from the formula
than what she has.   Sue