NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Karin Dietterich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 09:08:59 -0800
Beth Kevles <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I've never seen it, but I'd be wary of  any tofutti cheese product that
> actually melts.  I always thought it was the casein (milk protein) that
> enabled the melting.
>
> If you've found a cheesy product that melts *without* casein, I'd be eager
> to know the brand name.

The Tofutti cheese slices melt pretty well, and they contain no casein.  I use
them to make grilled cheese sandwiches and to make pizza.  Granted, they don't
melt well enough that two slices of tofutti cheese will stick together, but you
still get the feeling and taste of a gooey grilled cheese sandwich.  That, and
they taste good!

The Tofutti products are slowly migrating to the Northwest.  I've found all of
the "ice cream" products.  Plus "Better Than Cream Cheese" and the Cheese
slices.  I hope the bulk, grated cheese arrives soon.

Karin Dietterich
Portland, OR

http://taxes.yahoo.com/