C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 15:06:28 -0400
Hmm...interesting on two counts:

1) My local paper last year published a series of articles about the eugenics movement in NC which lasted well into the 1970s.  What is particularly shameful is that young girls were sterialised for no reason other than 'seeming fast'.  The governor proposed compensation for the survivors but nothing has been done because of state budget shortfalls.

2) This is only one of many reasons to draft up a living will, which spells out what you want your family to do if you're on life support and are being kept alive by such support.  I have one drafted myself - no life support if I am terminally ill - such a document could have saved the agonies experienced by Terri's family in Florida.  I think it's shameful when the government steps in to decide such matters that belong inside the family.

Kat