RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 05:58:30 -0800
Wes, it's obvious that we have different views of adaptation.
I see wearing clothing (furs, for the pre-industrial folks) as
a behavioral adaptation to cold weather. So too housing and
the control of fire.

But human genetics has changed with climate -- that is adaptation.
That human behavior includes clothing, fire use, housing, and the
intelligence to seek shelter when it is very cold, to a certain
extent mitigates the need for the kinds of adaptation that you
describe (e.g., thick fur). Human behavior can and does
impact survival rates = evolutionary selection pressures.
Human genetic adaptation will reflect the selective pressures
humans faced in evolution -- not the same as the pressures
facing the "beasts of the field" who have no fire, no clothing,
and (sometimes) no shelter.

(The idea that there is only one way to adapt to a particular factor
(in this case, cold, adapted via fur) is part of the simple
minded approach of the raw pseudoscience fakes.)

So let's agree to disagree here.

PS humans are not the only animals to use housing for protection
from cold -- bears, beavers, woodpeckers, and a wide variety of
other animals "build" or find some type of "housing".

Tom Billings