RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wes Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 04:11:57 -0500
Hello, everyone.

Most of you may not know who I am, but I was subscribed to this list for a
while, over 3 years ago. That's all history and 'water under the dam' now,
but I just thought that I'd "pop in" and give an update about myself in
regards to my personal dietary experience. I typically keep a low profile,
but recently I just felt like sharing, and perhaps some of you may find this
to be of some value in your own "dietary reform".

I still eat a diet that is comprised of 100% natural, raw foods -- all
organic foods and some wild foods as well (I get access to a lot more
locally grown wild foods in the warmer weather months). I base my diet on
fresh fruit -- about 85% of my diet by volume, and about 65% calorically. I
do not eat any avocados or other fatty fruits, and I do not eat any
"non-sweet fruits", so all that fruit is the real deal -- e.g. mangos,
apples, bananas, figs, dates, persimmons, etc etc etc.. I balance out the
rest of the diet with the following:

* Raw ocean fish (about 5 oz. per day)

* Free range eggs (whole - 4 per day)

* Nuts (about an ounce per day)

* Flax seeds (2 oz. per day)

* Dulse (wild Atlantic sea vegetable -- a few tablespoons per day)

* Fresh greens (mostly kale, cilantro, & lettuce -- several ounces total per
day)

* Fresh garlic (a few cloves once every 2 days)

* Potatoes (I eat about 4-6oz of potatoes just once every 10 days, and have
found them to be an important food for me to have on occasion -- eaten raw,
like everything else)

- I eat 2 meals per day (no breakfast), and I don't ever snack between
meals. I have a period of at least 16-17 hours between my 2nd meal one day
til my 1st meal the next day; and I have a period of at least 5-6 hours
between my 1st meal of the day and 2nd meal of the day.

- I encompass 'proper sequential eating' and 'proper food combining', and
find that doing this aids optimum digestion for me.

- Calorically, I consume about 2,600 - 2,700 kcals per day (about 20% of
which is from fat/oil - average total from all foods consumed [including the
fruit, greens, etc. - not just the nuts, eggs, etc.]).

- I also drink a lot of pure water each day, on an empty stomach. I drink
the majority of it during my fasting period per day.

So, there's the basic diet that I encompass. This is the result of much
intuiting, experiencing, and researching. I simply do that which works best
for me -- with my diet and everything else that I do in my life. I do not
live by any dogma or belief system. I just live as close to the truth as
possible -- i.e., to the best of my current awareness and understanding [of
the truth], and aided by what I have to work with, here and now. So, I do
the best with what I have and what I know, and continually strive to improve
and do even better.

I also exercise a lot every day -- most often that means at least one and a
half (1.5) hours per day, most all of it outdoors, which consists of a lot
of vigorous hiking, running, sprinting, diamond pushups, various kinds of
pullups, etc.. I also play some baseball/softball in the warmer weather
months, and go biking on occasion, among other things.

I also encompass various other (health-, well-being-, vitality-, etc.
-aiding) things as part of a holistic way of life. It really just comes down
to living healthfully. This includes doing a lot of meditation, and spending
plenty of time in Nature (yes, it deserves a capital 'N' ;^) ).

In a 'nutshell', I truly thrive, and I know I'm on the right track. I'm
extremely grateful for all I've been blessed with. Once upon a time, at a
young age, and for several years, I used to be quite a devitalized and very
depressed, anxious, hopeless-feeling individual. Now, that's all a thing of
the distant, dark past. A proper raw diet and healthful way of life has
really assisted me in becoming a lot healthier, happier, and more empowered.
And it's helped me to learn many valuable lessons -- including spiritual
lessons (not to be confused with any form of religion, mind you).

Anyway, again, I just thought I'd give an update in regards to my
dietary-related progress. Some of you may have wondered what became of me.
Well, I'm alive and well, for what it's worth.

BTW, the weather here is very cold right now -- a few degrees above zero
(Fahrenheit), and with the wind chill, it's below zero. But that doesn't
hinder my ability to feel great and warm out there in that cold weather (and
I spend a lot of time out there in it every day, and I don't dress heavily
at all). I proved to myself years ago that eating a proper raw food diet
does not result in feeling cold and miserable in a cold climate -- if
anything, this diet has assisted me in feeling warmer -- and I have a low
body fat %, so it's not like I'm an Eskimo ;^). So, that whole idea of raw
diet = not do-able in cold climate is yet another dietary myth. I've also
proved to myself various other myths, including fruit-related, to be false.
Again, I'm for the Truth, not belief systems or dogma.

I don't necessarily plan on sticking around this list for very long, and I
haven't come here to argue with anyone. My intentions are as stated, above.

So, I hope all is well with you, and maybe you found this message to be
interesting.

Take care,

-- Wes