From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 2004 16:08:33 -0500
There are a lot of different ways of transferring the data from one computer
to another.  If both computers have network cards, setting up them up on a
local network may be the easiest way to accomplish this.

If you are comfortable with messing around with what is inside the computer
case, you could remove the hard drive from the old computer and temporarily
install it as a slave (change the jumper settings on the drive) in your new
computer.  Then, you could copy the data files that wish to keep off of the
old drive and onto the new drive.

After you return the old drive to the old computer, using the the restore cd
that came with that computer should return it to the shape that it was in
when you first got the computer.

The difference between Celerons and Pentiums depends on the models being
talked about.  Generally, the celeron is a hobbled version of whatever
pentium is currently available.  Comparing the Pentium 4 to the Celerons
based on the Pentium 4 (Celerons with speeds of 1.7 GHz and faster), the
main limitation is that these Celerons only have 128 KB of cache onboard
(compared to 512 KB on the Pentium 4)and they only run on a 400 MHz
frontside bus (compared to the 533 MHz and 800 MHz frontside buses that
Pentium 4s use).  Both of these factors cut into the Celeron's performance
compared to a regular Pentium 4 running at the same clock speed.  Because
Pentium 4s tend to need a lot of memory bandwidth anyway, these factors have
a rather drastic impact on the Celeron's performance.

On the other hand, unless you are using applications that are particularly
CPU instensive, even a relatively crippled processor like the Celeron still
has plenty of processing power for everyday uses, such as email, web
browsing, word processing, and other office applications.

John