ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 09:49:17 -0500
LOL.  Well, sorry you took what I was saying as an "us men folks" kind of
thing.  That's not what I said.  As a disabled person (yes, still a man last
time I looked but that's beside the point) I'm the last one to say who
should and shouldn't be doing anything in the church since we all know the
disabled are discriminated against receiving a decent service most of the
time, much less being clergy.  I was just stating the facts of the context
of the specific blessing Helen quoted.

This debate is far older than any of us, even Ned.  Smile.  One side quotes
the punishment of Miriam with leprosy for saying she had as much right as
Moses to do holy things, and the punishment of Saul when he made the
sacrifice and was punished for it.  The other side quotes the Scriptures
about David eating the Showbread and about women (folk, smile) being just as
filled with the Holy Spirit, especially at the end times, and just as
gifted.  It's a denomination thing, not a man and woman thing, although one
could argue (and some folks like to argue) that the major denominations have
been controlled, rightly or wrongly, by men over the ages.

Paul