From:
Howard Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 15:13:09 -0300
Just  my 2 cents...   All you have to do to receive the MSBLAST  virus is to
connect to the intrernet, that's it.  It disables your Norton AV instantly.
Your only protection is to install your software without using the network,
disable system restore, update your Internet Explorer to eliminate the
vulnerability to this bug and use the built in firewall.  After everything
is running clean, restart System Restore.  Microsoft is now currently
testing new software updates that should help:

Dear Beta Tester :
We have released new beta content on the Windows Update V4Beta site, the
Windows Blaster Worm Removal Tool (KB833330). You must use Windows XP RTM,
Windows XP SP1, Windows 2000 SP2 and later to participate. If your computer
is not running these operating systems, please disregard this mail.
The Windows Update Site customer experience is very important to Microsoft;
we believe the input you give us from your beta testing has helped and will
continue to help us release an update package that represents the best of
what Microsoft offers.
This update will help remove common variants of the Blaster worm from
machines that have been patched with MS03-026 (KB# 823980) or MS03-039 (KB#
824146). The publication of this update does not mean that your machine is
actually infected with this worm. For more information about how to help
protect your PC, visit the Microsoft Protect Your PC Web site at
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/default.asp. Our goal is to
evaluate the performance of detection and installation segments of this
content, Windows Blaster Worm Removal Tool (KB833330). We will focus on
verification before and verification after, the installation of this beta
content.
The project will continue to run for one week. Within the next week, we need
to gather the majority of data. Please help us by initiating beta testing as
soon as you can. We need to catch as many problems as we can before this
package releases to the live site. Aven}one currently beta testing Windows
XP SP2 / WU V5 beta can also participate in this beta project, and we
encourage you to join.  Please be aware that you will need to use a
different machine without Windows XP SP2 beta installed. This item will not
be offered through the Windows XP SP2 / WU V5 site.
If you encounter any trouble or questions while installing the packages,
quickly send us feedback via a bug report or the Newsgroup.
The testing instructions have been posted at <http://www.beta.microsoft.com>
under Testing Information
<http://www.betaplace.com/betaplace/source/BPProgInfo.asp?ProgID=708000000&P
age=TestingInformation.htm> page - (log in with your .Net passport) and at
<http://content.test.windowsupdate.com> under Testing Information page (log
in with your v4 beta ID and password).
Bug Reports
Please remember to include the following information when you submit a bug
report.  For our tracking purposes, please include:
1.  "KB833330" in the bug report title on bugs your file related to the
Windows Blaster Worm Removal Tool (KB833330).2.  Detailed information and
repro steps - Required3.  The Windows Update.log file - Required
(%WINDIR%\)4.  The Iuhist.xml file - Required (C:\Program
Files\WindowsUpdate\V4) 5.  The KB833330.log file - Required (e.g.
%WINDIR%\KB833330.log)6.  The Blastchln.log file -
%WINDIR%\debug\blastcln.log

Thank you very much!
Windows Update Beta

Howard Rubin
The Computer Doctor
Fortaleza, Brazil

RE:  Date:    Thu, 8 Jan 2004 02:06:40 -0800
From:    Rafael Castillo <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: System Shutdown

Thanks again Peter.
Digging thru Microsoft support page, I came up with the solution to solve
the problem.  My system doesn't shutdown anymore.  It seems I got the
Blaster Worm virus.  How , when and where I got the virus, I have no idea.
In case someone comes over the same problem just click the Microsoft link:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.asp and follow instructions
as shown... I wonder why I was not able to get rid of the virus after
reformatting and reinstalling XP.  I used Western Digital Data Lifeguard
program to reformat the HDD.
Cheers!!!