From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Dec 2003 10:14:20 -0800
  Do you hear the CD if you plug headphones into the jack on the front of
the CD-ROM drive?

  There should be a separate small cable that connects the CD-ROM drive to
the sound card in order for audio CD sound to come out through the sound
card speaker connectors.  Has this ever worked?  Perhaps this cable is
missing, broken/cut, or possibly just incorrect -- for a while, different
manufacturers used different pin-outs for these connections.

David Gillett