ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:04:02 -0500
Earlier, Kathy Du Bois wrote:
>I know that it isn't for everyone. Helen doesn't really enjoy biblical
>movies and I can
>accept that, but I on the other hand really enjoy that form of outreach. I
>know that dance, too, is another area that is coming back into the church
>and has controversies with it as well. I just am so grateful for even more
>new areas in which to worship. That's what it is to me.
[Helen responds:]
Dear Kathy,
It seems that I may have upset you a little by some of my comments on the
Mel Gibson movie.  That certainly wasn't my intention, and I'm sorry you
may have taken them as such.  My comments have not been made in order to
try to dissuade any of you from seeing the film.  That is your choice, just
as it's my choice not to see it.
And I join you, Kathy, in your prayers that some folks who see it will come
to a deeper understanding of the suffering of Christ, of His sacrifice for
them, and begin to desire a personal relationship with Him.  What does
concern me a bit is that some of the arenas in which the Gospel is
allegedly being depicted, are putting emphasis on the flesh nature of man,
rather than the spiritual.  Even we who have been believers for many years
need now and then to remind ourselves that God is Spirit and must be
worshipped in spirit and in Truth.  And also that He does not abide in
houses or temples made with man's hands, but in the hearts of those of us
who are His.

As far as dancing in the churches is concerned, it isn't really new.  I was
very much blessed in the 80s to witness beautiful worship expresssed in
dance.  And there were beautiful dramas presented in one church, also.  It
was a church of thousands of attendees, and eventually it's leadership fell
into deep sin which brought to many who had witnessed those dances and
dramas, disappointment and shame and probably a turning back for some.  All
I'm saying here is that if emphasis in a church is placed on events and
efforts that please the flesh of man, rather than emphasizing the
foolishness of preaching to reach them in their spirit-nature, there may be
more confusion as to what the Gospel is all about, than understanding and
acceptance.

I pray that your church family and your children are blessed by seeing the
film, Kathy.
And I pray that you now have peace concerning the matter.

In His Love,
Helen