ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 07:17:53 -0500
Earlier, Phil Scovell wrote:
>Some mighty good things said there in that article and worth thinking about.

I didn't read the entire article, but agree with what I did read.  Phil,
you mentioned that people may come to Christ because of this film, but what
will they know of the real suffering of our Lord?  Will they realize that
the physical suffering was as nothing compared to the spiritual
suffering?  Not even we who have known and loved Him for many years can
begin to fathom the suffering of bearing the sins of all mankind for all
time.  And because we do know Him by faith, we will never know what He
suffered being separated from His Father.  No one but God alone knows what
could never be portrayed on a film with actors playing parts.  It is my
opinion that this Mel Gibson film does not honor Jesus Christ, but in ways
we may never know it is a dishonor to the sacrifice of His real self, not
just the bruised, bleeding, and battered flesh that housed Him while on
this earth.  That was the suffering of the Man Christ Jesus.  The suffering
of God in Christ Jesus will never be known by us mortals.
Helen