ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 18:41:15 -0700
Virgie called today.  Yesterday, Larry had a tracheostomy which is when
they, by surgery, put a breathing tube into your wind pipe.  The ventilator
was through his mouth and in his throat clear down to his trachea.  Boy, is
that scary or what for a blind person who then cannot talk or communicate.
It would freak me out, I can tell you for sure.  Anyhow, now the ventilator
is attached to the trake tube so it is out of his mouth and throat.  He
still cannot communicate verbally, however.  I remember the last time I had
a ventilator jammed down my throat which was several years ago when I just
had a hernia repaired.  So I was never awake when the ventilator was in.
When I awakened in the recovery room I coughed my head off.  The ventilator
is also taped down all around your mouth so it doesn't fall out and move.
Larry had that in for many days now.  The trake tube will help him breathe
better and they are already turning the ventilator down little by little in
attempt to wean him completely off the ventilator.  Virgie needs prayer,
too.  This has been a very difficult time for her since they just got
divorced.  Someone gave her the money so she could fly down to Mississippi
to be with Larry.  This means she had to leave the vending stand she runs
for a week.  She is staying with Larry's daughter, which has got to be
awkward in and of itself, but his daughter insisted Virgie come and stay
with her.  For the most part, of course, Virgie has been staying up at the
hospital.  The first night she was there, she stayed all night with Larry.
So at least the trake, I am misspelling trake to make the synthesizer say it
right, is in and so things should improve.  In my opinion, and I base this
on everything I know up to this point, and I know a lot I have chosen not to
share as far as background information is concerned, I believe Larry went to
his daughter's to die and I believe he doesn't want to live.  Under the
circumstances, if Larry recovers fully and goes back home, he will be living
alone.  He has a wonderful place he is living in which is sponsored by a
church and all of his food and lodging is basically only 250 dollars a
month.  Larry has little money so that is all he can afford but his two
bedroom ground floor apartment is the nicest place he's ever lived.  Yet, he
has nothing to do and he thinks he has nothing to live for.  So, quite
simply, Virgie and Larry both need prayer.

Phil.

Crazy For Jesus
www.SafePlaceFellowship.com