ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 2003 22:20:15 -0600
Mat,

Although Christ died for those who are responsible for 911 for instance,
they are not God's children AKA Sons of God. Below is a clip from Nelson's
Bible dictionary that puts it in a nutshell of definition. The key to the
relationship is covenant.

SONS OF GOD

A phrase with three different meanings in the Bible:
1. In the Book of Job the phrase is used for angelic or non-human beings
(Job 1:6; 2:1). These sons of God presented themselves before God in what
might be called a heavenly assembly. Satan appeared with them, although
this does not necessarily mean he was one of the "sons of God." Thus the
stage was set for the telling of the story of Job.
2. The phrase, sons of God, appears in the New Testament as a name for
people who are in a covenant relationship with God. This exact phrase never
appears with this meaning in the Old Testament, although the idea is
implied. For example, God referred to the scattered children of Israel,
whom He promised to gather together again, as His sons and daughters (Isa
43:6; 45:11).
The classic New Testament passage where this phrase occurs is Rom 8:12-19.
The apostle Paul encouraged the Christians at Rome to live not "according
to the flesh," but "by the Spirit," because those who "are led by the
Spirit of God, these are sons of God" (v. 14). The process is described as
one of adoption, by which the believer becomes a child of God, and thus an
heir of God, a joint-heir with Christ (Gal 4:5; Heb 2:10; 12:7). Other
passages use the phrase children of God, with the same basic meaning (John
1:12; Phil 2:15; 1 John 3:1-2).
3. The third usage of the phrase occurs in Gen 6:1-4. Certain "sons of God
saw the daughters of men, that they were beautiful; and they took wives for
themselves of all whom they chose" (v. 2). The offspring of these unions
are described as "giants," "mighty men," and "men of renown" (v. 4). The
question centers on the identity of these "sons of God" mentioned in this
passage. There are two basic possibilities. The phrase could refer to
non-human beings such as those mentioned in Job (1:6; 2:1). Or, the phrase
may be an unusual way of referring to human beings.
(from Nelson's Illustrated Bible Dictionary, Copyright (c)1986, Thomas
Nelson Publishers)