ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Du Bois <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 20:56:05 -0500
Oh Yes Paul,
Pies are served on Thanksgiving in all varieties including chocolate.
Interestingly enough, I will be making two pumpkin pies tomorrow, but I
probably won’t eat any of it because I don’t like them. Now, if I were at
my mother’s house, she would make me an apple or cherry pie, but,
considering the diet conversation that we had a while back, it’s just as
well that I won’t be having them here.
Now, about the church services, we hold our Thanksgiving service on
Wednesday evening so that Thursday is free and clear. In fact, I just got
home from ours. When we lived in Michigan, the church that we attended
did have their service around 9:30 am on thanksgiving morning, but that
requires the cook to be extremely organized. Most of them were. I’m not
so talented. They would do their pies the day before and get their turkey
going so that all that was left was the vegetables when they got home
from worship. I kind of liked that actually, but we don’t do it here
because Greg is the first pastor at this church to have a thanksgiving
service of any kind and we thought that it would be an easier sell to get
them to come out on Thanksgiving Eve rather than Thanksgiving morning.
Imagine sticking church and worship in the middle of turkey preparations.
Mainers hold their traditions too tightly to expect them to give them up
easily. You know how with teens you’re told to choose your battles
carefully and decide prayerfully what hills are important enough to die
on? ?Well, sometimes it’s the same with a congregation and worship on
thanksgiving morning wasn’t worth dying for for us. The important thing
is that at least some of our people take time to come to church and
worship God and give Him praise and Thanks in a more intentional way.
God bless,
IN Him,
Kathy

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!