From:
Bud Schwab <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 20:21:10 -0800
Hi Gary,

I have been soldering for more than fifty years now and I use the Weller
type where you pull the trigger and it heats up in a few seconds.  You can
get them from hardware stores or Radio Shack.  For light soldering you
might consider the 120 watt one with a two position trigger.  The low
position will solder very light work and then you can pull the trigger in
to the second notch for heavier work  They cost around $30..  Hohpe this helps.

Bud Schwab

At 07:09 PM 2/19/2004, you wrote:
>Folks, I have read all I could find on soldering by blind individuals.  I
>am now looking for personal observations and recommendations on which irons
>work best.
>
>Given that the material in the smith kettlewel mag is around 20 years old,
>what are the opinions of the list on which irons work best?
>
>Price is a consideration, but not the main one.  I've already spent $400 on
>a resistance iron and had very limited success.
>I am now looking to sell it and try something else.
>
>Thanks for any information you have.

Bud Schwab
W 6 Z Y P
Malibu, California