From:
Howard Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 13:46:09 -0600
Maybe a bit late on this one.
jfw versus window-eyes?
Depends on what you want to do.
I like window-eyes because of GW Micro.  They monitor their user support
e-mail list, send out betas for every to try and give input on, and when
you call them, you get support from a person who actually uses the
product.  You usually are talking to that person in less than 30 seconds
after the phone is answered.
The other thing I like, is that the installed speech except for dectalk
access32 off course, are not solely tied in to the screen reader.
The set files can be easily made.  That means that you don't have to go to
learn a special programming language, to make them.  Because of that,
people freely share their creations with each other, rather than make
commercial enter prizes out of set file creation.  Since they didn't have
to pay to learn how to do it, their are no investment costs to recuperate.
That company philosophy puts the control of the screen reader software in
the hands of the end user, rather than in the hands of the manufacturer and
the techs.
We fight paternalism in so many places, I'd rather not see it on my keyboard.

Jfw is ahead now in terms of Microsoft office support.  GWMicro aught to
hit that one hard for the next release.  They really have to get support
for power point.
Window-eyes is much more stable, and is smoother on the net.
Download demos of both, try them in your applications on your computer and
then choose.

The one inexcusable thing about jfw, is the way it handles file and folder
names.  That is barbaric and absolutely inexcusable.
If they monitored their user e-mail list, and gave end users input to the
program, that would have been fixed from the beginning.
Dos names for windows files?

Inexcusable!!!