From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 15:36:44 -0500
Hello all.

This subject has come up in some related ways on the list, but I am not sure
where to find people's comments, so I'll ask my question here.

For this week-end's North American Qso Party SSB contest, I am going to be
part of a contest team of single operators from my local area.  The team has
already been formed, and we are ready to go.  I will use my Icom 746 as my
main rig, and I will be using a conbination of a triband beam for 10, 15,
and 20;  a g5rv;  and a 40/80 meter dipole.

I have a friend who has just upgraded to General, and he wants to try his
hand at contesting, but he isn't ready to get into the thick of things just
yet.

He also has no HF equipment to work with.

I have been thinking of setting up my Icom 718 HF rig, with the LDG AT11MP
auto-tuner in another part of my basement so that he can just play with
things and get some "hands on" experience with contesting.  I have an R7
vertical antenna in my back yard that I am thinking about dedicating to his
operation.

The antennas throughout my back yard are a considerable distance apart.  My
two rigs will probably be from 10 to 15 feet apart, although I could place
them further apart if need be.

If we do this contesting operation, do I run the risk of damaging the front
ends of either receiver, even if we are careful not to operate on the same
band simultaneously?  If I can ground things sufficiently, are we likely to
interfere with each other significantly, or de-sense each other's receivers?

Obviously, I am not going to do this if there is any chance of damaging
equipment.

On the other hand, I'd really like to use this as an elmering experience if
I can.

Since I am on a single-op team, I can't allow him to make contacts for me;
my understanding is that he has to do that independently using his own call.

Any thoughts here would be appreciated.

Hope to see some of you in the contest.

Vy best 73 from Tom Behler:  KB8TYJ, Big Rapids, MI