From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Dec 2003 09:45:17 -0800
On Sunday, Dec 14, 2003, at 06:21 US/Pacific, Neil Abrahams wrote:

>> The intestinal tracts of fish contain clostridium botulinum, a
>> bacteria
>> that grows in anaerobic conditions and produces a potent neurotoxin.
>> I've not tested this recipe, but my guess is that if the intestines
>> are
>> removed and the fishes thoroughly washed before confining, the risk of
>> getting poisoned is minimal.

In Southeast  Asia, where fish sauce is as common as soy sauce in China
and Japan, whole tiny fishes are used, usually anchovies. The original
recipe packed them in brine and left them to ferment in barrels in the
sun. The resulting sauce is said to be rich in B vitamins and protein.
It is said that the ancient Romans also seasoned foods with brined
anchovies, and the use of salted anchovies in Italian cooking is a
remnant of this practice.

This reference is from Bruce Cost's Asian Ingredients, ISBN
0-688-05877-9.

ginny

All stunts performed without a net!