From:
H James Rhodes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 11:37:36 -0800
Dear People,

"Coffee beans were chewed raw for centuries in Ethiopia and Yemen.
Excavations in the Ethiopian highlands         where coffee grows wild
indicates human gatherers have been eating coffee berries over a few
thousand years. The fleshy pulp around the coffee bean in Ethiopian
coffee has a high sugar content. Being sweet, being nutritious, and
seeds being in a two-thousand year old human feces supports this theory.

Ugandans were found chewing dried robusta coffee beans when the first
explorers from Europe reached the country. Green beans were ground up
and mixed with fat, then made into small balls, which were eaten by
travelers on long journeys.  ....etc. ....."
-  <http://www.africacoffee.com/Coffee_History.htm>

Apparently the coffee "bean" is not actually a bean but a seed from the
coffee berry.  Or, is it a nut?

Anyway, I've found it fairly easy to stay with the  paleofood diet
except that I do love my coffee - with just a little raw sugar and
heavy whipping cream - two or three times a day.  I've been worried
that maybe I was sabotaging my diet that way but at least it seems that
coffee may be a paleofood.  What do you think?

- Jim