From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 2004 08:07:30 -0400
Well, the 2 that always come up are the tri banders the IC-T90A, and the
THE-F6A,  though I think they all have computer programming these days and
most except the real cheapest have the touch tone pad on the front for
direct frequency input, Steer clear from yaesu, for sure, I'd stick with
icom and Kenwood.  You can look for a radio shack HTX-202 if you'd like
there are plenty out there on ebay and places like that though they are
getting older and older every day and my personal experience buying
equipment used gets worse every day to the point where after my echolink
link radio went up in smoke last Sunday,  I think I'll never buy used again
when it comes to Transceivers, seems like as time goes on my deals get worse
and worse and worse. If you have the funding, I'd look at the radios I
mentioned above, if you would rather cheaper, you'll need a computer to
program it, but look at just about any icom or Kenwood HT, a friend of mine
has the Icom IC-V8 and loves it, claims it's pretty accessible though I
haven't personally tried it, the software helps programming PL tones in that
radio though. I usually buy 1 2 meter HT a year to use outside in the garage
and around the pool, just in case, usually cheap as I can get and sell them
in the fall, but I haven't tried any of the current line yet,  probably next
year though. My IC-P2AT will keep me going this year, don't look for a P2AT
though you'll probably never find one.