From:
Joany Janicki <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joany Janicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 08:51:54 -0500

Hi all -

It appears that the Palm Restaurants are celiac friendly.  Here are the replies that I recieved:

Thanks for your help,  Joany Janicki, Washington, DC

We just dined at the Palm in Walt Disney World.  I spoke with the chef ahead
of time and made sure he understood celiac eating.  He felt assured there
were many things I could eat and recommended some steaks, fish, shrimp
dishes.  Some of these you have to warn them not to use flour in any sauces
they may use over the meats even if they aren't served with the meat.  The
shrimp were that way.  I had the grilled swordfish and it was wonderful,
really!  I could also eat the broccoli, green beans, asparagus, and
mushrooms.

The wonderful thing was the dessert.  It is not on the menu but they had
available a peppermint ice cream in a chocolate shell with berries and it
was by far the best thing I ate there!  The chef recommended it since the
other desserts were definitely taboo.  I don't know if all of the
restaurants would have this, but it is worth asking.

Hope this helps.  They were very knowledgeable and I think if you speak to
the exec. chef first and then your server...and remind your server to note
on your ticket that you require no gluten on your meal...even if he thinks
it won't have it on there...I think you will be fine.  Hope you have a great
dinner like we did

I've eaten at the West Hollywood Palm several times without any problem

I have had a lot of success at the Palm in Boston.  However, I know two of
the people that work there and one of them knows about the dietary issues.

Basically, because I'm very sensitive to gluten, I keep it simple to play it
safe.  I ask to make sure that the cut of steak I am having is not marinated
first and then (because I have problems with dairy) I ask that they use oil
only on the steak.  I have a baked potato but I do not eat the skin --all of
them are brushed with butter -- at least at this Palm.

Anyway, they have always been accommodating and I have never been dosed
there.  If I were going to a Palm where I knew no one, I would speak to the
manager first, and the server also.  (Which I'm sure you already know.)

Washington, DC