EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jon Gunderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 13:15:07 -0500
People using screen readers take longer to read the information on web
pages since there is little support for higher level navigation to the
information contained on the web page.  There is more than just links on
many web pages for people to find and read.  Most web pages are also not
designed for accessibility, so there is time involved in trying figure out
what the information that is "missing".  Even familiar pages are often
updated requiring reading of the whole page just to check to see if there
are changes.

Jon

At 12:46 PM 9/25/2001 -0400, jeffrey Pledger wrote:
>Kathy,
>
>I don't necessarily know if you are going to win that arguement because of
>the listing features found in both JFW and Window Eyes for displaying links
>on a page.  It really depends upon what you are doing in your surfing with
>your modem connection.  Are you going to constantly going to new pages to
>do research whereby it is imperative to read the full web page or are you
>going back to the same web pages all the time.  The former situation will
>hold more water for your position rather than the latter.
>
>Jeffrey Pledger
>President, AbleTV.net At 02:44 PM 9/24/01 -0500, you wrote:
>>I use a Screen Reader and work for a university.  Our university is
>>instituting a ten hour a week modem use limit for those of us who dial
>>in from home.  I'm requesting tripple time because it takes longer to
>>tab around a website than to point and click.  Has anyone encountered
>>this problem and/or has anyone seen (or heard for that matter) any
>>studies about how much longer it takes to navigate using a screen reader
>>than using a mouse?
>>Thanks.
>>Kathie

Jon Gunderson, Ph.D., ATP
MC-574
College of Applied Life Studies
1207 S. Oak Street, Champaign, IL  61820

Voice: (217) 244-5870
Fax: (217) 333-0248

E-mail: [log in to unmask]

WWW: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~jongund