Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 19:35:48 -0800
Cost of the Paleo Diet:

Overall, I would think at first, that the paleo diet is about the same
as the mediteranean, due to good quality protein and organic produce
being a little bit more expensive, BUT, when I factor in: less asthma,
less need for expensive prescribed meds, less pain, less need for
ibuprophen/asprin, etc…, less need to go to the Doc, and less medical
expense, better teeth, less cavities, less dental visits, less incidence
of catastrophic illness, less money put into the hands of (mis)managed
care, no fruits of technology, no junk foods, no alcohol (at least none
for me!) factor all these in, PLUS using less in the way of gasoline
making fewer trips (we have a freezer and shop for our freezables once a
month and in BULK when we can get them that way) homegrown produce
becoming more the norm….equals LESS expensive than the regular S.A.D. or
other types of diet. Less expensive and infinitely healthier….long term
savings being exponential.
Our grocery bill went down around 25%, moneywise; time will till how
much we save in factored costs.
One can eat paleo relatively cheaply: Use inexpensive or ground meats
(freeze them for a few days to kill off any critters), canned tuna, etc…
I used to go to around 4 to 6 different stores to get “regular”
groceries for myself and my better half. (he had an attachment to
certain brand names/products)
Now, it’s mainly Trader Joe’s, an Organic produce stand near home, and a
good butcher who sells very good meat/fish/poultry/game, in bulk. I’ve
gotten good suet for pemmican from him too. We use a well that we pump,
filter, and purify water into a large tank…and that’s it. I am greatful
we live out in the country.