C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:26:44 -0500
Methinks the herring in your argument is red, Deri.  What you're saying is analogous to, "Hitler is not responsible for the death of millions during the '30s and '40s."  In the strictest sense, that's true: he did not personally pull the triggers or open the gas valves.  Therefore, there is no "fact" that he's responsible for killing anyone except himself, Eva Braun and maybe a few allies in the "Great War".

If we can't agree that there are certain ethical "truths" (e.g., it's wrong to steal another's food, rape his wife, kill his young child), then on what basis do we form a society?  More importantly, how is it that the knowledge of these truths is innate?  Or, do you feel that these are not universal truths due to their time dimension and that someday we will "progress" to a point where there is no universal "right" or "wrong"?  If that's the case, is that the kind of world in which you would care to live?

Kyle

"If it takes a village to raise a child, chances are he'll be the idiot" --Kyle Cleveland