BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kitty tortillas! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 2003 08:49:36 -0500
If you and I were to become 60's reinactors of even living history
museum interpretors, wouldn't that be like them 60+/- year olds
reinacting roles of soldiers?  An anachronism at best.

Okay, the stuff that's going on inside my head hasn't changed all that
much, but I'm not 117lbs of muscle anymore, the flexibility and agility
have got up and gone, and I can no longer taunt authority with
impunity.  (I still taunt authority, but am now impuned, I
suppose...best look that one up in a dictionary before some smart ass
academic comes along and corrects me.)

The best of it was the friendship, the ability to enter into
friendships quickly, some lasting a lifetime...yup and the love...and
that hasn't gone.  And Mrs C started growing her hair long...er.

You go right ahead and become a sixties interpreter...I'll come by and
laugh and sing with you.  But I've pretty much got the best of the
sixties right here in the 0's...even got a someone at 1600 PA avenue
I'd like to evict.

Damn!  Forgot I'm a capitalist now.  Got to get to work.

-jc

On Wednesday, August 6, 2003, at 02:10  AM, Cuyler Page wrote:

> Sometimes I think the stuff that gave the 60's their reputation were
> moments flashing through places and groups of people. I doubt anyone
> had more than a handful of 60's experiences, that would be remotely
> similar to the sales job.
>
> Oh John, dear John!   Really!   I am sorry to hear such a sad and
> sorrowful reflection.   Too bad you didn't live out here in BC where
> it really happened.   I am happy to certify many more than a few
> handfulls during my stay in the '60s, and rarely solitary handfulls at
> that.   It was a very social time here, the real thing.    Yes, oh
> yes, it really did happen, and I thought at the time that I was
> only on the fringe of it all since I was busy practicing a profession
> of being a "Designer-Craftsman" even though some from the general
> public kept calling me a hippy because of what they thought they were
> seeing.   However, I had a litle house in the forest beside the ocean
> that people seemed to stop at on their trips, so by staying still in
> one place, the world literally passed through, and it was a very real
> world indeed.   Direct connections with the Dali Lama, San Francisco
> rock groups, poets and all that.
>
> But I did have long hair, I did wear a Derby and a hairband, blue
> jeans, kaki work shirts and workboots, I did drink wine and speak of
> revolution and Mrs. C wore short skirts, and sometimes tight blue
> jeans and sometimes long flowing dresses and her shining black hair
> flowed down below her butt...we better stop now.
> -jc
>
> Heck, why stop!    That was the one time that really made sense, at
> least before it got commercialized.   Of course, we each did it in our
> own ways.   At the museum we are getting ready to celebrate the 40th
> anniversary of the '60's.   Get out your old duds and come join the
> party.   I still have my fairy-woods hand-woven hooded
> going-for-a-walk in the forest garb, and it looks great; and it seems
> that there are a lot of people still ready and even eager to remember
> when no one over 30 was to be trusted.
>
> However, it was a bit odd recently to see the 1950's historic house at
> the Shelburne Museum in Vermont.   Too close to home for me, and too
> static!    On a personal level, I would rather be into preservation
> (keeping it going) than restoration.   I want to help with the 1960's
> house when they are ready for it!   Maybe I will finally meet you
> there when we volunteer as Interpreters in our retirement years.
>
> cp (not shouting) in hippy happy bc

John Callan, Architect, Inc.
Historic Preservation and Museum Services
784 Deerwood Circle
Lino Lakes, Minnesota  55014-5433

(651) 486-0890