From:
Rachel Brill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:17:29 -0800
Walter Willett is speaking here tonight, and there will be a question and
answer session afterwards. In case you're not familiar with him, he's chair
of Nutrition at Harvard and one of the main advocates of revamping the food
pyramid. While not low carb per se, he is a big supporter of avoiding
refined and junk carbs, but he's still pro-whole grains. Regardless, I'm a
fan of his because some of what he says is pretty radical considering where
and who he is.

Nevertheless, I want to ask him a semi-challenging question about low carb
diets. His topic is "Is the USDA Pyramid a Threat to Public Health?" I'm not
sure what I want to ask yet, but I don't want it to be too
aggressive/accusatory, if you know what I mean...just slightly challenging.
Something along the lines of...Well if you go this far with the pyramid, why
not go all the way and remove grains all together? Or....Given the many
recent studies in support of low carb dieting, why do you think whole grains
are necessary? Or...If vegetables can provide all the nutrients that are
found in grains.... Or maybe something to do with saturated fat... You get
the idea.

So....if you provide some questions I'll check back here before the talk
tonight and choose one. Then I'll post the results back here after the talk.