From:
Torsten Bürger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 11:00:36 +0200
Bruce Kleisner wrote:
> I question Ray's assumption that an all-raw diet would be
> ideal. Take raw eggs, for instance. They contain "trypsin
> inhibitors" similar to those in soy. We need trypsin, and
> other proteolytic enzymes (pepsin and chymotrypsin) or we
> can't break apart protein molecules into their constituent
> peptides and amino acids. Thus, the protein in raw egg is
> only about half as digestible as cooked egg. Bodybuilders
> have known this for decades. Just eating the raw egg yolk
> is not a good idea either, because the white has most of
> the sodium, as well as other important nutrients.
>
> http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/t1/trypsin.asp
> http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/128/10/1716
>
> Raw egg whites contain avidin, a protein which binds some
> of the biotin in the yolk, preventing absorption. Cooking
> neutralizes avidin. Although egg yolks are rich in biotin
> and not all the biotin is bound with avidin, avidin is an
> anti-nutrient best avoided. Egg white also has conalbumin
> which binds with iron. The iron in eggs already has a low
> bio-availability, compared to red meat. Eating ra egg can
> lead to anemia, esp for mothers and babies.
>
> > Neanderthin, page 67:
> >
> >    Should I Eat Raw Meat?
> >
> >    Although all meat is edible raw, you shouldn't eat supermarket meat
raw.

> I doubt it makes much difference whether we eat meats raw
> or cooked. They are low-residue (fully digested), one way
> or the other. The potential bacteria and parasites aren't
> as much of a problem as all the chemicals in or on modern
> meat. Hard-boiled eggs also have a "low-residue", meaning
> we digest them almost fully. Raw eggs, on the other hand,
> have a much higher residue (produce more waste).
>
> http://www.pdrhealth.com/content/nutrition_health/chapters/fgnt25.shtml
>
> We know that raw eggs contain numerous anti-nutrients that
> would interfere with digestion and other functions. Seeds
> and nuts are another potent example. Eating too many nuts
> and seeds (esp raw) causes digestive problems and nutrient
> deficiencies. Read Sally Fallon's "Nourishing Traditions"
> for a good layman's explanation, Price and Howell for more
> detail. The case for a raw diet is hardly open-and-shut.
>
> http://www.beyondveg.com/

I kinda used to have the same way of thinking. Reading everything about
nutrition, the blessed and the evil diet components of todays humans. I
wanted to understand WHY things are the way they are. Why should I eat this
and avoid others. What is my body doing exactly. The more I went into these
things the more I got confused. One can not try to totally understand such a
complex thing as our human body without going  nuts. When I tried to do it
anyway I lost my already weak ability to trust in my intuition. Last weekend
I talked about these things with my dad who is I believe on a more promising
way. He already accepted the fact that it is totally insane to believe to
able to riddle down the whole system of live. Maybe we need to go the other
way. A way I already found in many of the posts in this list. We may need to
switch out most of  our rational cause=>result thinking and redevelope our
intuition and instincts especially when it comes to our diet. A
redevelopement I believe can only take place if we avoid all false
foods...foods that promise our body certain things by taste our other senses
and then dont keep their promises (false sweets, false fats and so on). One
may actually be able to evaluated the suitability of food just by his senses
again. I'm pretty far away from that right now. But I want to try. And I
believe it does make a difference wether we eat meat raw or not. I will not
try to prove this believe with any scientific research data. I will try to
experience by trusting in my primal senses. If that doesn't work right away
I may need to do a total bottom-up-approach (could be fasting and then
adding foods - of course paleo-like foods - again and see what happens).
I'm very happy that I found this list and I don't want to say scientific
research is useless. It has brought us here with its good and bad side of
the coin.
Personally I believe exchanging experiences is more valueable in this kind
of list than hunting down papers. But I welcome both for I want this list to
stay as open-minded as possible.

Greetings
Torsten