From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2004 21:29:05 -0500
Well, the K2 really is hard to beat then! It's got a hot receiver...no
general coverage though...but very good in the ham bands, very quiet
too. Now that the cw readout for the KRC2 is coming along, well, I
think you'll find it hard to find a rig that gives you more
info. (Sorry, for the guys who want a voice readout, the KRC2 is cw.)
Anyway, the receiver's been compared to rigs costing twice as
much. Let's see. If you want the basic 15 watt rig, it's...hmm...
K2: $599
K160RX: (160-meter module plus second receive antenna connection): $35
KSB2 (SSB board): $89
KIO2 (Computer control--gotta have it if you want the KRC2 now or
eventually): $89
KNB2 (Noise blanker): $35 (I don't have this and don't particularly
miss it--but think I may get it at some point, along with the
160-meter board)
KAF2 (cw audio filter--I have it--very nice): $79, I think
KDSP2 (DSP filter--if you want a bit more, goes in place of the KAF2,
so it's one or the other): $219
KAT2 auto-tuner (fits in the QRP top cover) $159
KRC2 (band decoder and, more to the point, accessibility box): $159

If you decide you want 100 watts, the KPA100 is another $359, and the
external 150-watt autotuner (which I want) is $239. One nice thing
about this rig is you can replace the top covers--if you wnt to go
portable, take the 100-watt amp off and stick the QRP cover on. Oh
yes, there's also a SLA internal battery for the QRP top cover at
$67. Oh yes, very impotant--the KPA100 also has the computer
communication port built in.

The configuration I have:
K2, KPA100, KSB2, KAF2, and KRC2. All I need to make my K2/100
complete is the KAT100 autotuner, KNB2, and K160RX. Wouldn't complain
about the DSP filter some day either, and maybe sometime will do the
QRP top cover, but I'm more inclined to keep the K2 as K2/100 and take
the KX1 portable.

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV/3    | But I will lay my burden
Email: [log in to unmask]   | in the cradle of your grace,