From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 10:00:34 -0600
        This covers an extremely wide range of possibilities.  If the
radios are for aircraft installation, they may use 28 volts DC or 400
Hertz at 115 volts.

        If they are portable units, it's anybody's guess what kind of
batteries they use.

        Other millitary radios are built for base-type use and connect
to the AC power mains so they may work on 50/60 Hertz and 12/240 volts
providing you set the jumpers correctly on the transformer.

        I have an old millitary surplus power transformer that has two
primary windings which can be paralelled for 120-volt service or
seriesed for 240-volt service.  You just hook it up according to what
you have at the plug.

        I think tanks and ships use a lot of 28-volt DC service, also.

        While these aren't millitary, railroad systems sometimes use
64-volt DC service so be prepared for anything.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Information Technology Division Network Operations Group