Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 2003 18:32:55 -0500
7bit
From:
Kathy Foley <[log in to unmask]>
Adrienne Smith wrote:

>Kathy -- when you recommend paleo to your clients -- do you recommend the
>low-saturated fat Cordain type regime or a higher saturated fat version?
>Also, where does fruit fit into a diet for PCOS?

I leave the fat and fruit decisions up to them. I give them a loose
description of which foods to eat, and recommend that they read Audette
and Cordain. I personally don't see a problem with a fat-rich diet, if
that's what the body needs. I suggest that they eliminate grains, then
follow their bodies' signals. For those who don't believe they can
eliminate grains, I suggest that they cut back as much as possible. If
they have been carbo-loading on grains for years, they may have some
vitamin and mineral deficiencies that fruits could remedy. My
observation has been that when they eliminate the grains in the diet,
their cravings to carbo-load greatly decrease, and their fruit
consumption is healthy and normal. If symptoms persist, then we would do
a diet review and then possibly discuss cutting back on fruit or nuts. I
should add that I also offer combined oral contraceptives for those who
desire them, because these can also alleviate symptoms (not paleo, I know!)

Kathy