Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Deborah Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:09:58 -0600

I received the following question in response to my post about oatmeal substitutes. Since I'm in no position to speak to this issue I am forwarding the question to the list.

I don't remember where, but I recently read that when DNA testing was done
on oatmeal, it showed "contamination", so how can anyone be sure that any
oatmeal is pure?  Surely as with all the other "oops's" like contaminated
blood etc, since no one was aware of the problems of cross contamination,
those who grow grains had no incentive in years past to take any precautions
to ensure different crops were kept pure. And since current crops seeds were
promulgated from "possibly" contaminated crops, how can we consumers be
assured we are getting a gluten free oat?

Helen in Vancouver, BC