From:
Patricia Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 20:54:48 -0500
Yes.  I have some basic metabolic problem that causes me to have
somewhat thick mucus, not as bad as cystic fibrosis would be.  Certain
things aggravate that (make the thickness worse).  One of the things
that does that is wheat (I also have celiac disease, but this might be
a separate reaction from the celiac stuff).  Certain medications also
increase the thickness of the mucus.  My only way to deal with this is
to take guaifenesin to loosen things up, and swallow pancreatic enzymes
when I eat because I seem to be able to excrete only part of the
enzymes I need, due to the mucus.  So that makes me feel lots better
(taking the enzymes).  I ordinarily get pneumonia and sinus infections
if I eat a lot of wheat, in addition to it messing up my insides and
causing malnutrition, panic attacks, brain fog, and muscle pain.

Patty