Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 12:08:11 -0400
> In a message dated 9/22/2003 10:15:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
> Yup, I just haven't figured out a way to cook meat
> without using, relatively' high temperature

What I used to do when I ate roasts:Pre-heat oven to ~300F, then insert
roast beef, with meat themometer inserted. When internal thermometer shows
140F, turn off oven heat, open door, leave like that for ~20 minutes or so.
Then close oven door again, turn heat to 145-150F, leave for at least 24
hours; roast should be covered at low temp, otherwise it gets too dry.
Exerience with thermometers and your oven is necessary.
This makes the most delicious roast from the cheapest & toughest beef.
I didn't think of it at the time, but this is probably the closest we can
get to cooking in an earth pit, as described here recently.
All parasites are dead at 140F.
The reason for the initial blast at 300F is that I found the taste often
rank (not good) if started at low temp. Maybe wrong germs on/in the meat?

William