From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:54:30 -0400
Tom Bridgeland wrote:

> I have never liked those cadaverous model types. I want to see some
> muscle on a woman.

For that matter, I like to see some fat on a woman.  The recent
pop-culture shift toward women with less and less body fat is, I think,
an aberration.  From a paleo perspective, body fat, especially on a
woman, is a *resource*, since it means stored food available to a
nursing child.  Within reason, it's a kind of paleo wealth.  I don't
think it's a coincidence that for a very long time (down to the present
day for at least some of us) men have found women with a fair amount of
body fat to be very sexy.  Personally, I think it's refreshing to see
Queen Latifah out there reminding us of that, and I don't mind saying
that I think she's hot.

I think there really are different body types, and the notion that each
of us is supposed to carry a predetermined percentage of body fat seems
just wrong to me.  In my own case, 15% body fat is the lowest I can go
without really doing deprivation, and that is not even a stable point.
If I eat ad libitum, even fully paleo foods, I'll hover at the 17-19%
range, which is about where I am now.  That seems to be just the way I
am metabolically wired.  Granted, I may have a damaged metabolism.  But
you know, if you look at pictures of hunter-gatherers, for example in
National Geographics, although you don't see obesity, you do see a
fairly wide range of body types.  Not everybody is super-lean.

Todd Moody