From:
David Karas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 13:27:30 -0700
Kylix _ wrote:

>But I've always thought that it requires many thousands
>of years before we adapt to "new" food. Or is milk one of those
>"easy" adaptations (through neoteny) that require much less time?
>Even so, would 1000-odd years really be enough for a population to
>adapt? It would be nice if there were any convincing evidence
>that humans have adapted to milk (someone mentioned buffalo milk for Asians)
>since I'm starting to really miss milk products.

To really get the feel of a "paleo diet" you need to restrict yourself
to those foods (meat, fat, leaves, fruits, seed, nuts, sea food). I did
for a while but did notice that it was difficult to get enough fat with
my meat and started using raw butter as an easy solution. We have a fat
phobia in the US, so much of the meat is raised lean. The "paleo police"
will not come after you if you add milk products to your diet. I have
found that I do better on raw milk products but can get "away" with
consuming some pasteurized milk products (cheese and butter).  Paleo
pure can be very difficult to achieve since the effects of civilization
are everywhere. For me, I avoid processed and maufactured foods as much
as possible and this seems to be good enough to do well. There are many
on this list who need to be more restrictive. You will eventually find
out what level of strictness works best for you.