From:
David Karas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 13:07:35 -0700
Kylix _ wrote:

>I've heard a lot of people have a taste for
>raw meat. I would like to try it too, but I am concerned
>about parasites. Is my concern valid?
>Is it required to be truly paleo? If we have adapted to cooking,
>then wouldn't raw meat be bad?

I have eatten mostly raw meat for about 6 years. As far as I know I have
had no problem with parasites. I don't worry about this and trust my
body to do the right thing. I find that my body digests raw meat better.
I can tell the difference when I eat cooked meat. I do not feel that I
have adapted to cooking meat. When I read Ray Audette's NeanderThin and
he talked about the "naked with a sharp stick test" for paleo foods, I
was really surprised that all of his recipes included cooked meat. I
spent a day with him a few years ago when he was in Los Angeles. He felt
that raw meat wasn't safe. This is a common idea. I would estimate that
somewhere between 25% and 33% of the people on paleofood eat some or
most of their meat raw. The majority are very vocal against raw meat.
Each one gets to choose. Raw everything works best for me.